- A migraine.
- A fancy; a whim.
- In the plural: lowness of spirits -- often with 'the'.
- Of or pertaining to the art of cutting stones or engraving on them.
- Engraved in stone.
- Of or pertaining to the refined or terse style associated with inscriptions on monumental stone.
- The bird's nest built on a lofty place, such as a cliff or mountaintop.
- A dwelling or stronghold located in a lofty place.
Strengthening; restoring vigor.
- Having a fleshy pink color.
- Red; blood-red.
Superficial knowledge; a superficial show of learning.
|28 Jan||beau ideal|
A perfect or an idealized type or model.
- Like, or composed of, treacle.
- Overly sweet or sentimental.
The act of belching; a belch.
- Pertaining to Draco, a lawgiver of Athens, 621 B.C.
- Excessively harsh; severe.
Affecting a whole people or a number of countries; everywhere epidemic.
- A private conversation between two people.
- A short sofa intended to accommodate two persons.
- To hold in contempt.
- To undervalue.
Someone who collaborates with an enemy occupying his or her country; a traitor.
|20 Jan||nolens volens|
Whether unwilling or willing.
- Sinning; guilty of transgression.
- Violating a rule or a principle.
Indulgence in idle daydreaming.
|17 Jan||ab ovo|
|16 Jan||pin money|
- An allowance of money given by a husband to his wife for private and personal expenditures.
- Money for incidental expenses.
- A trivial sum.
Great pleasure; delight, enjoyment.
A tale of sorrow, disappointment, or complaint; a doleful story; also, a dolorous or angry tirade.
Someone who is skilled in table talk.
- Characterized by or full of force and vigor; as, "a trenchant analysis."
- Caustic; biting; severe; as, "trenchant criticism."
- Distinct; clear-cut; clearly or sharply defined.
Pertaining to the west wind; soft; mild; gentle.
|10 Jan||Potemkin village|
An impressive facade or display that hides an undesirable fact or state; a false front.
- Subordinate; subsidiary.
- Auxiliary; helping.
- The state of being the firstborn of the same parents; seniority by birth among children of the same family.
- (Law) An exclusive right of inheritance that belongs to the eldest son.
|7 Jan||olla podrida|
- A stew of highly seasoned meat and vegetables.
- A mixture; a hodgepodge.
A strong, offensive smell; stench.
From head to foot; at all points.
Pertaining to fields or the country; rural; rustic.
- To burst in forcibly or suddenly; to intrude.
- (Ecology) To increase rapidly in number.
- A petty falsehood; a fib.
- Pretentious nonsense.
Smooth; having a surface without hairs, projections, or any unevenness.
|31 Dec 2016||crabwise|
- In a cautiously indirect manner.
|30 Dec 2016||abecedarian|
- One who is learning the alphabet; hence, a beginner.
- One engaged in teaching the alphabet.
- Rudimentary; elementary.
|29 Dec 2016||roue|
A man devoted to a life of sensual pleasure; a debauchee; a rake.
|28 Dec 2016||harbinger|
- (Archaic) One who provides lodgings; especially, the officer of the English royal household who formerly preceded the court when traveling, to provide and prepare lodgings.
- A forerunner; a precursor; one that presages or foreshadows what is to come.
|27 Dec 2016||apocryphal|
- (Bible) Pertaining to the Apocrypha.
- Not canonical. Hence: Of doubtful authority or authenticity; spurious; false.
|26 Dec 2016||censure|
- The act of blaming or finding fault with and condemning as wrong; reprehension; blame.
- An official reprimand or expression of disapproval.
|25 Dec 2016||terminus|
- The finishing point; the end.
- A boundary; a border; a limit.
- A post or stone marking a boundary.
- Either end of a railroad or other transportation line; also, the station house, town, or city at that place.
|24 Dec 2016||velleity|
- The lowest degree of desire; imperfect or incomplete volition.
- A slight wish or inclination.
|23 Dec 2016||portent|
- A sign of a coming event or calamity; an omen.
- Prophetic or menacing significance.
- Something amazing; a marvel.
|22 Dec 2016||microcosm|
- A little world. Hence, man or human nature as a supposed epitome of the world or universe (compare macrocosm).
- A smaller, representative system having analogies to a larger system.
|21 Dec 2016||wraith|
- An apparition of a living person seen before death; hence, an apparition; a specter; a ghost.
- A shadowy or insubstantial form, appearance, or representation of something.
|20 Dec 2016||impassible|
- Incapable of suffering; not subject to harm or pain.
- Unfeeling or not showing feeling.
|19 Dec 2016||ambit|
- Circuit or compass.
- The boundaries or limits of a district or place.
- An area in which something acts, operates, or has power or control; extent; sphere; scope.
|18 Dec 2016||nuptial|
- Of or pertaining to marriage; done or used at a wedding; as, "nuptial rites and ceremonies."
- Of, pertaining to, or occurring in the mating season.
|17 Dec 2016||metier|
- An occupation; a profession.
- An area in which one excels; an occupation for which one is especially well suited.