|Today||deus ex machina|
1. In ancient Greek and Roman drama, a god introduced by means of a crane to unravel and resolve the plot.
2. Any active agent who appears unexpectedly to solve an apparently insoluble difficulty.
Marked by a strong tendency in favor of a particular point of view.
1. To express strong disapproval of; to denounce.
2. To tear or wear off the skin of.
1. The face, countenance, or look of a person or an animal; -- chiefly applied to the human face.
2. Look; appearance; aspect.
1. Fundamentally different or distinct in quality or kind.
2. Composed of or including markedly dissimilar elements.
Attended with peril; fraught with danger; hazardous.
1. Capable of being extended or shaped by beating with a hammer, or by the pressure of rollers; -- applied to metals.
2. Capable of being altered or controlled by outside forces; easily influenced.
3. Capable of adjusting to changing circumstances; adaptable.
- Of the same blood; related by birth; descended from the same parent or ancestor.
Freedom from agitation or excitement of mind; coolness in trying circumstances; calmness.
An inferior imitator, especially of some distinguished writer, artist, musician, or philosopher.
Monetary gain; profit; riches; money; -- often in a bad sense.
1. A child prodigy.
2. One who achieves great success or acclaim at an early age.
1. A man of elevated rank or station.
2. In Spain or Portugal, a nobleman of the first rank.
Lacking proper seriousness or respect; showing inappropriate levity; pert.
A predisposition to choose or like; an established preference.
Without the means or right to communicate.
1. The act of guarding or protecting; guardianship; protection.
2. The state of being under a guardian or tutor.
3. Instruction, especially individual instruction accompanied by close attention and guidance.
Impossible to refute; incontestable; undeniable; as, an irrefragable argument; irrefragable evidence.
A whispering sound; a soft murmur.
Therefore; consequently; -- often used in a jocular way.
- Having been formerly; former; sometime.
1. A state of mutual harmony, friendship, and respect, especially between or among nations or people; civility.
2. The courteous recognition by one nation of the laws and institutions of another.
3. The group of nations observing international comity.
Apt to change suddenly; whimsical; changeable.
Inclined to fight; combative; quarrelsome.
1. A burden, impediment, or hindrance.
2. A lien, mortgage, or other financial claim against a property.
1. Given to or characterized by the use of long words.
2. Long and ponderous; having many syllables.
1. A long word.
Springing or rising again into being; showing renewed vigor.
One who fights with the fists; especially, a professional prize fighter; a boxer.
1. The condition or quality of being doubtful or skeptical.
2. A matter of doubt.
1. Incapable of being expressed in words; unspeakable; unutterable; indescribable.
2. Not to be uttered; taboo.
Hungry; voracious; greedy.
1. A harsh settlement unilaterally imposed on a defeated party.
2. An authoritative decree or order.
1. Difficult to understand; abstruse.
2. Concerned with obscure subject matter.
A person who explains or interprets difficult parts of written works.
|15 Oct||sine qua non|
- An essential condition or element; an indispensable thing.
A connoisseur of good food and drink.
1. Full in all respects; complete; absolute; as, plenary authority.
2. Fully attended by all qualified members.
Power; force; energy; spirit; activity; vigor.
- The name, in Scotland, for New Year's Eve, on which children go about singing and asking for gifts; also, a gift, cake, or treat given on New Year's Eve.
- 1. A profit or benefit in addition to a salary or wages.
2. Broadly: The benefits of a position or office.
3. A gratuity or tip for services performed.
4. Anything to which someone has or claims the sole right.
- 1. The essence, nature, or distinctive peculiarity of a thing.
2. A hairsplitting distinction; a trifling point; a quibble.
3. An eccentricity; an odd feature.
- 1. Anything to which attention is strongly turned; a center of attraction.
2. That which serves to guide or direct.
3. [Capitalized]. The northern constellation Ursa Minor, which contains the North Star; also, the North Star itself.
- Being of striking appropriateness and relevance; very applicable; apt.
- 1. The act of conferring a benefit.
2. A benefit conferred; especially, a charitable donation.
- Merrymaking; festivity; revelry.
- 1. The region of the air; the sky; the heavens.
2. The field or sphere of an interest or activity.
- Making a loud outcry; clamorous; noisy.
- 1. Apt to find fault; habitually complaining.
2. Expressing complaint; fretful; whining.