1. The condition of being completely filled or supplied.
2. Excessive fullness, as from overeating.
1. Shaking; shivering; quivering; as, a tremulous motion of the hand or the lips; the tremulous leaf of the poplar.
2. Affected with fear or timidity; trembling.
1. Generating or shedding tears; given to shedding tears; suffused with tears; tearful.
2. Causing or tending to cause tears.
1. A trifle; a thing of little or no importance.
2. A short, light musical or literary piece.
3. A game played with a cue and balls on an oblong table having cups or arches at one end.
1. To revoke (a former command); to cancel or rescind by giving an order contrary to one previously given.
2. To recall or order back by a contrary order.
1. A contrary order.
2. Revocation of a former order or command.
A worn-out strumpet; a vixenish woman; a hag.
1. The color or incrustation which age gives to works of art; especially, the green rust which covers ancient bronzes, coins, and medals.
2. The sheen on any surface, produced by age and use.
3. An appearance or aura produced by habit, practice, or use.
4. A superficial layer or exterior.
1. A man of elevated rank or station.
2. In Spain or Portugal, a nobleman of the first rank.
A malicious satisfaction obtained from the misfortunes of others.
To abstain from; to do without.
1. Characterized by or given to vulgar humor; coarse.
1. A ribald person; a lewd fellow.
1. Characterized by intensity of emotions or convictions, or forcefulness of expression.
2. Characterized by or acting with great force or energy; strong.
Having no desire or inclination; indifferent; heedless; spiritless.
--LISTLESSLY, adverb -- LISTLESSNESS, noun
1. To chew the cud; to chew again what has been slightly chewed and swallowed."Cattle free to ruminate." --Wordsworth.
2. To think again and again; to muse; to meditate; to ponder; to reflect.
1. To chew over again.
2. To meditate or ponder over; to muse on.
Rightly; correctly; properly; in a right way or manner.
1. To beg or obtain by begging; to sponge.
1. To beg; to sponge.
1. A frequenter of city boulevards, especially in Paris.
2. A sophisticated, worldly, and socially active man; a man who frequents fashionable places; a man-about-town.
|28 Feb||Potemkin village|
An impressive facade or display that hides an undesirable fact or state; a false front.
1. To thrust out; to push out.
2. To force or impose (one's self, remarks, opinions, etc.) on others with undue insistence or without solicitation.
1. To thrust upon a group or upon attention; to intrude.
A long angry speech; a violent denunciation; a prolonged outburst full of censure or abuse.
1. Having or expressing broad and tolerant views, especially in religious matters.
1. A person who is broad-minded and tolerant; one who displays freedom in thinking, especially in religious matters.
2. [Often capitalized] A member of the Church of England, in the time of Charles II, who adopted more liberal notions in respect to the authority, government, and doctrines of the church than generally prevailed.
Dark or dull in color; drab, dusky.
1. A joyous song of praise, triumph, or thanksgiving.
2. An expression of praise or joy.
1. A chain or shackle for the feet; a bond; a shackle.
2. Anything that confines or restrains; a restraint.
1. To put fetters upon; to shackle or confine.
2. To restrain from progress or action; to impose restraints on; to confine.
1. Shade; shadow; hence, something that affords a shade, as a screen of trees or foliage.
2. a. A vague or indistinct indication or suggestion; a hint.
3. b. Reason for doubt; suspicion.
4. Suspicion of injury or wrong; offense; resentment.
1. To raise trivial or frivolous objections; to find fault without good reason.
1. To raise trivial objections to.
1. A trivial or frivolous objection.
Quickness of perception or discernment; shrewdness shown by keen insight.
Sparing in expenditure; frugal to excess.
1. Capable of perceiving by the senses; conscious.
2. Experiencing sensation or feeling.
1. One of two equal parts; a half.
2. An indefinite part; a small portion or share.
3. One of two basic tribal subdivisions.
1. Deeply affected with grief and regret for having done wrong; penitent; as, "a contrite sinner."
2. Expressing or arising from contrition; as, "contrite words."
1. An alloy of mercury with another metal or metals; used especially (with silver) as a dental filling.
2. A mixture or compound of different things.
1. A kind of coarse twilled cotton or cotton and linen stuff, including corduroy, velveteen, etc.
2. An inflated style of writing or speech; pompous or pretentious language.
1. Made of fustian.
2. Pompous; ridiculously inflated; bombastic.
1. Fundamentally different or distinct in quality or kind.
2. Composed of or including markedly dissimilar elements.
|11 Feb||sub rosa|
1. Secretly; privately; confidentially.
1. Designed to be secret or confidential; secretive; private.
1. A kingfisher.
2. A mythical bird, identified with the kingfisher, that was fabled to nest at sea about the time of the winter solstice and to calm the waves during incubation.
1. Calm; quiet; peaceful; undisturbed; happy; as, "deep, halcyon repose."
2. Marked by peace and prosperity; as, "halcyon years."
1. To weary by excess, especially of sweetness, richness, pleasure, etc.
1. To become distasteful through an excess usually of something originally pleasing.
The state or quality of being lenient; mildness; gentleness of treatment; leniency.
1. A showy but useless or worthless object; a gewgaw.
1. Tastelessly showy; cheap; gaudy.
1. A large, powerful, or destructive whirlpool.
2. Something resembling a maelstrom; a violent, disordered, or turbulent state of affairs.
1. To assume as real or conceded.
2. To propose as an explanation; to suggest.
3. To dispose or set firmly or fixedly.
1. A flowing or coming together; junction.
2. The place where two rivers, streams, etc. meet.
3. A flocking or assemblage of a multitude in one place; a large collection or assemblage.
An inferior imitator, especially of some distinguished writer, artist, musician, or philosopher.
1. Cheerful; merry; gay; light-hearted.
2. Causing joy or pleasure; agreeable; pleasant.
Existing or being everywhere, or in all places, at the same time.
To treat or regard as an object of great interest or importance.
1. (Capitalized) A fire-breathing she-monster represented as having a lion's head, a goat's body, and a serpent's tail.
2. Any imaginary monster made up of grotesquely incongruous parts.
3. An illusion or mental fabrication; a grotesque product of the imagination.
4. An individual, organ, or part consisting of tissues of diverse genetic constitution, produced as a result of organ transplant, grafting, or genetic engineering.
1. To give a thrashing to; to beat severely.
2. To scold sharply; to attack verbally; to berate.
1. A sign of a coming event or calamity; an omen.
2. Prophetic or menacing significance.
3. Something amazing; a marvel.
1. To persuade by ingenuity or flattery; to entice.
2. To obtain by ingenuity or flattery.