|1 Jan 2014||contravene|
- To act or be counter to; to violate.
- To oppose in argument; to contradict.
|31 Dec 2013||exigent|
- Requiring immediate aid or action; pressing; critical.
- Requiring much effort or expense; demanding; exacting.
|30 Dec 2013||maudlin|
Tearfully or excessively sentimental.
|29 Dec 2013||furbelow|
- A pleated or gathered flounce on a woman's garment; a ruffle.
- Something showy or superfluous; a bit of showy ornamentation.
|28 Dec 2013||incontrovertible|
Too clear or certain to admit of dispute; indisputable; unquestionable.
|27 Dec 2013||apogee|
- The point in the orbit of the moon or of an artificial satellite that is at the greatest distance from the center of the earth.
- The farthest or highest point; culmination.
|26 Dec 2013||sinecure|
An office or position that requires or involves little or no responsibility, work, or active service.
|25 Dec 2013||postprandial|
Happening or done after a meal.
|24 Dec 2013||traduce|
To expose to contempt or shame by means of false statements or misrepresentation; to represent as blamable; to vilify.
|23 Dec 2013||pecuniary|
- Relating to money; monetary.
- Consisting of money.
- Requiring payment of money.
|22 Dec 2013||exiguous|
Extremely scanty; meager.
|21 Dec 2013||volte-face|
An about-face; a reversal, as in policy or opinion.
|20 Dec 2013||nefarious|
Wicked in the extreme; iniquitous.
|19 Dec 2013||mien|
- Manner or bearing, especially as expressive of mood, attitude, or personality; demeanor.
- Aspect; appearance.
|18 Dec 2013||descry|
- To catch sight of, especially something distant or obscure; to discern.
- To discover by observation; to detect.
|17 Dec 2013||extant|
Still existing; not destroyed, lost, or extinct.
|16 Dec 2013||irascible|
Prone to anger; easily provoked to anger; hot-tempered.
|15 Dec 2013||potable|
Fit to drink; suitable for drinking; drinkable.
|14 Dec 2013||extempore|
Without premeditation or preparation; on the spur of the moment.
|13 Dec 2013||incipient|
Beginning to exist or appear.
|12 Dec 2013||puerile|
Displaying or suggesting a lack of maturity; juvenile; childish.
|11 Dec 2013||susurration|
A whispering sound; a soft murmur.
|10 Dec 2013||somnolent|
- Sleepy; drowsy; inclined to sleep.
- Tending to cause sleepiness or drowsiness.
|9 Dec 2013||hauteur|
Haughty manner, spirit, or bearing; haughtiness; arrogance.
|8 Dec 2013||fugacious|
Lasting but a short time; fleeting.
|7 Dec 2013||claque|
- A group hired to applaud at a performance.
- A group of fawning admirers.
|6 Dec 2013||pusillanimous|
Lacking in courage and resolution; contemptibly fearful; cowardly.
|5 Dec 2013||perforce|
By necessity; by force of circumstance.
|4 Dec 2013||philomath|
A lover of learning; a scholar.
|3 Dec 2013||gelid|
|2 Dec 2013||redoubt|
- A small and usually temporary defensive fortification.
- A defended position or protective barrier.
- A secure place of refuge or defense; a stronghold.
|1 Dec 2013||myrmidon|
- [Capitalized] A member of a warlike Thessalian people who followed Achilles on the expedition against Troy.
- A loyal follower, especially one who executes orders without question, protest, or pity.
|30 Nov 2013||countervail|
- To act against with equal force, power, or effect; to counteract.
- To compensate for; to offset; to furnish or serve as an equivalent to.
|29 Nov 2013||discursive|
- Passing from one topic to another; ranging over a wide field; digressive; rambling.
- Utilizing, marked by, or based on analytical reasoning -- contrasted with intuitive.
|28 Nov 2013||abominate|
To hate in the highest degree; to detest intensely; to loathe; to abhor.
|27 Nov 2013||pleonasm|
- The use of more words than are necessary to express an idea; as, "I saw it with my own eyes."
- An instance or example of pleonasm.
- A superfluous word or expression.
|26 Nov 2013||surreptitious|
- Done, made, or gotten by stealth.
- Acting with or marked by stealth.
|25 Nov 2013||nimiety|
The state of being too much; excess.
|24 Nov 2013||fiat|
- An arbitrary or authoritative command or order.
- Formal or official authorization or sanction.
|23 Nov 2013||agitprop|
Propaganda, especially pro-communist political propaganda disseminated through literature, drama, music, or art.
|22 Nov 2013||malapropos|
Unseasonable; unsuitable; inappropriate.
|21 Nov 2013||sentient|
- Capable of perceiving by the senses; conscious.
- Experiencing sensation or feeling.
|20 Nov 2013||asseverate|
To affirm or declare positively or earnestly.