|28 Dec 2017||dudgeon|
A state or fit of intense indignation; resentment; ill humor -- often used in the phrase "in high dudgeon."
|29 Dec 2017||paragon|
A model of excellence or perfection; as, "a paragon of beauty; a paragon of eloquence."
|30 Dec 2017||aubade|
A song or poem greeting the dawn; also, a composition suggestive of morning.
|31 Dec 2017||succor|
1. Aid; help; assistance; especially, assistance that relieves and delivers from difficulty, want, or distress.
2. The person or thing that brings relief.
1. To help or relieve when in difficulty, want, or distress; to assist and deliver from suffering; to relieve.
The male head of a household or the father of a family.
- Having or revealing little emotion or sensibility; not easily excited.
1. An occupation; a profession.
2. An area in which one excels; an occupation for which one is especially well suited.
A leader of a movement or activity; also, a leading indicator of future trends.
1. A flowing or coming together; junction.
2. The place where two rivers, streams, etc. meet.
3. A flocking or assemblage of a multitude in one place; a large collection or assemblage.
More than is wanted or is sufficient; rendered unnecessary by superabundance; unnecessary; useless; excessive.
-- SUPERFLUOUSLY, adverb
-- SUPERFLUOUSNESS, noun
1. Tending to provoke envy, resentment, or ill will.
2. Containing or implying a slight.
1. Kind; gracious.
2. Beneficial; favorable.
Given to eating; voracious; devouring.
1. The use of trickery or sophistry to deceive (as in matters of law).
2. A trick; a subterfuge.
To throw out of a window.
1. A strict disciplinarian.
2. One who lays stress on a rigid adherence to the details of forms and methods.
Cheap and showy, tawdry; also, spurious, counterfeit.
With; along with; combined with; -- often used in combination.
An awkward, gawky young fellow.
1. A kind of coarse twilled cotton or cotton and linen stuff, including corduroy, velveteen, etc.
2. An inflated style of writing or speech; pompous or pretentious language.
1. Made of fustian.
2. Pompous; ridiculously inflated; bombastic.
Good nature; pleasant and easy manner.
1. To go into or reside in the country; to pursue a rustic life.
1. To require or compel to reside in the country; to banish or send away temporarily.
2. (Chiefly British). To suspend from school or college.
3. To build with usually rough-surfaced masonry blocks having beveled or rebated edges producing pronounced joints.
4. To lend a rustic character to; to cause to become rustic.
A youth in the state of adolescence, or just passing from boyhood to manhood; a lad.
1. A splendid or impressive array.
2. Ceremonial attire.
3. A full suit of armor; a complete defense or covering.
1. Of the same age; originating or existing during the same period of time -- usually followed by 'with'.
1. One of the same age; a contemporary.