1. Avoirdupois weight, a system of weights based on a pound containing 16 ounces or 7,000 grains (453.59 grams).
2. Weight; heaviness; as, a person of much avoirdupois.
1. Rough, harsh; extreme, severe -- generally restricted to the elements or weather.
2. Severe, unrelenting; cruel.
1. Painful or arduous work; severe toil or exertion.
2. Agony; anguish.
3. The labor of childbirth
1. To work very hard; to toil.
2. To suffer the pangs of childbirth; to be in labor.
To be deliberately ambiguous or unclear in order to mislead or to avoid committing oneself to anything definite.
1. To draw up or frame (a statement, proclamation, etc.); to put in writing.
2. To make ready and put in shape for publication; to edit.
1. Lacking liveliness and spirit; unanimated; spiritless; dull; as, "a vapid speech."
2. Flavorless; lacking taste or zest; flat; as, "vapid beer."
1. Of, pertaining to, or producing a direct current of electricity, especially when produced chemically.
2. Affecting or affected as if by an electric shock; startling; shocking.
3. Stimulating; energizing.
1. To march out (as from a wood, defile, or other narrow or confined spot) into the open.
2. To emerge; to issue.
1. To cause to emerge or issue; to discharge.
1. The act of plotting.
2. A crafty scheme; a cunning design or plot intended to accomplish some usually evil end.
A salve for sores, burns, or the like; an ointment.
1. To hide, or get out of the way, in a sneaking manner; to lurk.
2. To move about in a stealthy way.
3. To avoid responsibilities and duties.
1. One who skulks.
2. A group of foxes.
1. An authoritative statement; a formal pronouncement.
2. Law) A judicial opinion expressed by judges on points that do not necessarily arise in the case, and are not involved in it.
1. Capable of laughing; disposed to laugh.
2. Exciting or provoking laughter; worthy of laughter; laughable; amusing.
3. Relating to, connected with, or used in laughter; as, "risible muscles."
1. Of or relating to a tailor or to tailoring.
2. Of or relating to clothing, or style or manner of dress.
3. [Anatomy] Of or relating to the sartorius muscle.
1. A space between things or parts, especially a space between things closely set; a narrow chink; a crack; a crevice; an interval.
2. An interval of time.
Extremely observant; watchful; sharp-sighted.
Uniting and blending together different systems, as of philosophy, morals, or religion.
1. To change into bone; to become bony.
2. To become hardened or set in a rigidly conventional pattern.
1. To change into bone; to convert from a soft tissue to a hard bony tissue.
2. To harden; to mold into a rigidly conventional pattern.
1. The act of approving; formal or official approval.
2. Praise; commendation.
1. Affectedly or ostentatiously learned; pedantic.
1. A small bottle of horn or other material formerly used for holding ink.
|24 Sep||olla podrida|
1. A stew of highly seasoned meat and vegetables.
2. A mixture; a hodgepodge.
1. A new word or expression.
2. A new use of a word or expression.
3. The use or creation of new words or expressions.
4. (Psychiatry) An invented, meaningless word used by a person with a psychiatric disorder.
5. (Theology) A new view or interpretation of a scripture.
1. Inclined to keep silent; reserved; uncommunicative.
2. Restrained or reserved in style.
3. Reluctant; unwilling.
Suitable for a given purpose or occasion; timely.
1. Devoid of or unsusceptible to emotion.
2. Showing no sign of emotion or feeling; expressionless.
1. To deviate from what is expected.
2. To take away; to detract; -- usually with 'from'.
1. To disparage or belittle; to denigrate.
1. A vague feeling of discomfort in the body, as at the onset of illness.
2. A general feeling of depression or unease.
A silly, flighty, or scatterbrained person, especially a pert young woman with such qualities.
Polished and smooth in manner; polite, refined, and elegant.
1. An expression of good wishes on a festive occasion, especially in drinking to someone.
2. An occasion on which such good wishes are expressed in drinking; a drinking bout; a carouse.
3. The liquor used for a wassail; especially, a beverage formerly much used in England at Christmas and other festivals, made of ale (or wine) flavored with spices, sugar, toast, roasted apples, etc.
1. Of or pertaining to wassail, or to a wassail; convivial; as, a wassail bowl.
1. To drink to the health of; a toast.
1. To drink a wassail.
Tending to promote peace; conciliatory.
Construction or something constructed by using whatever materials happen to be available.
1. To cause to disappear by rubbing out, striking out, etc.; to erase; to render illegible or indiscernible.
2. To destroy, as a mental impression; to wipe out; to eliminate completely.
3. To make (oneself) inconspicuous.
Evenness of mind; calmness; composure; as, "to bear misfortunes with equanimity."
Acuteness of perception or vision; sharpness.
An ignorant person; a dunce.
|11 Oct||fait accompli|
An accomplished and presumably irreversible deed or fact.
Beginning to exist or having recently come into existence; coming into being.
Exposition; explanation; especially, a critical explanation of a text.
Pertaining to the west wind; soft; mild; gentle.
1. A fine point of exactness in conduct, ceremony, or procedure.
2. Strictness or exactness in the observance of formalities; as, "the punctilios of a public ceremony."
1. The interval between two reigns; any period when a state is left without a ruler.
2. A period of freedom from authority or during which government functions are suspended.
3. Any breach of continuity in an order; a lapse or interval in a continuity.
1. A region situated inland from a coast.
2. A region remote from urban areas; backcountry.
3. A region situated beyond the major metropolitan or cultural centers.
1. Merely imaginary; produced by or as if by a wildly fanciful imagination; fantastic; improbable or unrealistic.
2. Given to or indulging in unrealistic fantasies or fantastic schemes.
1. To break apart; to separate; to divide; to sever.
1. To become parted, disunited, or severed.
Excessively fond of or submissive to a wife.
1. obsolete. A cap worn by court jesters; adorned with a strip of red. (Now cockscomb).
2. archaic. The top of the head, or the head itself.
3. Obsolete. A fool.
4. A vain, showy fellow; a conceited, silly man, fond of display; a superficial pretender to knowledge or accomplishments; a dandy; a fop.
1. To remove or modify the parts (of a book, for example) considered offensive.
2. To modify, as by shortening, simplifying, or distorting in style or content.
1. Having a fleshy pink color.
2. Red; blood-red.
1. To make red or crimson.