|11 Oct 2017||Hogmanay|
- The name, in Scotland, for New Year's Eve, on which children go about singing and asking for gifts; also, a gift, cake, or treat given on New Year's Eve.
|10 Oct 2017||perquisite|
- 1. A profit or benefit in addition to a salary or wages.
2. Broadly: The benefits of a position or office.
3. A gratuity or tip for services performed.
4. Anything to which someone has or claims the sole right.
|9 Oct 2017||quiddity|
- 1. The essence, nature, or distinctive peculiarity of a thing.
2. A hairsplitting distinction; a trifling point; a quibble.
3. An eccentricity; an odd feature.
|8 Oct 2017||cynosure|
- 1. Anything to which attention is strongly turned; a center of attraction.
2. That which serves to guide or direct.
3. [Capitalized]. The northern constellation Ursa Minor, which contains the North Star; also, the North Star itself.
|7 Oct 2017||apposite|
- Being of striking appropriateness and relevance; very applicable; apt.
|6 Oct 2017||benefaction|
- 1. The act of conferring a benefit.
2. A benefit conferred; especially, a charitable donation.
|5 Oct 2017||jollification|
- Merrymaking; festivity; revelry.
|4 Oct 2017||firmament|
- 1. The region of the air; the sky; the heavens.
2. The field or sphere of an interest or activity.
|3 Oct 2017||vociferous|
- Making a loud outcry; clamorous; noisy.
|2 Oct 2017||querulous|
- 1. Apt to find fault; habitually complaining.
2. Expressing complaint; fretful; whining.
|1 Oct 2017||confrere|
- A fellow member of a fraternity or profession; a colleague; a comrade; an intimate associate.
|30 Sep 2017||digerati|
- Persons knowledgeable about computers and technology.
|29 Sep 2017||sub rosa|
- 1. Secretly; privately; confidentially.
1. Designed to be secret or confidential; secretive; private.
|28 Sep 2017||vainglory|
- 1. Excessive pride in one's achievements, abilities, qualities, etc.
2. Vain display.
|27 Sep 2017||melange|
|26 Sep 2017||sacrosanct|
|25 Sep 2017||hale|
- Free from disease and weakening conditions; healthy.
|24 Sep 2017||paladin|
- 1. A knight-errant; a distinguished champion of a medieval king or prince; as, the paladins of Charlemagne.
2. A champion of a cause.
|23 Sep 2017||carapace|
- 1. The thick shell that covers the back of the turtle, the crab, and other animals.
2. Something likened to a shell that serves to protect or isolate from external influence.
|22 Sep 2017||tmesis|
- In grammar and rhetoric, the separation of the parts of a compound word, now generally done for humorous effect; for example, "what place soever" instead of "whatsoever place," or "abso-bloody-lutely."
|21 Sep 2017||auspicious|
- 1. Giving promise of success, prosperity, or happiness; predicting good; as, "an auspicious beginning."
2. Prosperous; fortunate; as, "auspicious years."
|20 Sep 2017||inure|
- 1. To make accustomed or used to something painful, difficult, or inconvenient; to harden; to habituate; as, "inured to drudgery and distress.
1. To pass into use; to take or have effect; to be applied; to serve to the use or benefit of; as, a gift of lands inures to the heirs.
|19 Sep 2017||voluptuary|
- 1. A person devoted to luxury and the gratification of sensual appetites; a sensualist.
1. Voluptuous; luxurious.
|18 Sep 2017||sylvan|
- 1. Of or pertaining to woods or forest regions.
2. Living or located in a wood or forest.
3. Abounding in forests or trees; wooded.
1. A fabled deity or spirit of the woods.
2. One that lives in or frequents the woods or forest; a rustic.
|17 Sep 2017||assiduous|
- 1. Constant in application or attention; devoted; attentive.
2. Performed with constant diligence or attention; unremitting; persistent; as, "assiduous labor."
|16 Sep 2017||logorrhea|
- Excessive talkativeness or wordiness.
|15 Sep 2017||panache|
- 1. Dash or flamboyance in manner or style.
2. A plume or bunch of feathers, esp. such a bunch worn on the helmet; any military plume, or ornamental group of feathers.
|14 Sep 2017||gaucherie|
- 1. A socially awkward or tactless act.
2. Lack of tact; boorishness; awkwardness.
|13 Sep 2017||chagrin|
- 1. Acute vexation, annoyance, or embarrassment, arising from disappointment or failure.
1. To unsettle or vex by disappointment or humiliation; to mortify.
|12 Sep 2017||redivivus|
- Living again; brought back to life; revived; restored.
|11 Sep 2017||alfresco|
- 1. In the open air; outdoors.
1. Taking place or located in the open air; outdoor.
|10 Sep 2017||wheedle|
- 1. To entice by soft words or flattery; to coax.
2. To gain or get by flattery or guile.
1. To flatter; to use soft words.
|9 Sep 2017||billet-doux|
|8 Sep 2017||lassitude|
- Lack of vitality or energy; weariness; listlessness.
|7 Sep 2017||quidnunc|
- One who is curious to know everything that passes; one who knows or pretends to know all that is going on; a gossip; a busybody.
|6 Sep 2017||bivouac|
- 1. An encampment for the night, usually under little or no shelter.
1. To encamp for the night, usually under little or no shelter.
|5 Sep 2017||soporific|
- 1. Causing sleep; tending to cause sleep.
2. Of, relating to, or characterized by sleepiness or lethargy.
1. A medicine, drug, plant, or other agent that has the quality of inducing sleep; a narcotic.
|4 Sep 2017||repast|
- Something taken as food; a meal.
|3 Sep 2017||crepuscular|
- 1. Of, pertaining to, or resembling twilight; dim.
2. (Zoology) Appearing or active at twilight.
|2 Sep 2017||maelstrom|
- 1. A large, powerful, or destructive whirlpool.
2. Something resembling a maelstrom; a violent, disordered, or turbulent state of affairs.
|1 Sep 2017||subterfuge|
- A deceptive device or stratagem.
|31 Aug 2017||ingenue|
- 1. A naive girl or young woman.
2. An actress playing such a person; also: the stage role of an ingenue.
|30 Aug 2017||anodyne|
- 1. Serving to relieve pain; soothing.
2. Not likely to offend; bland; innocuous.
1. A medicine that relieves pain.
2. Anything that calms, comforts, or soothes disturbed feelings.
|29 Aug 2017||lambent|
- 1. Playing lightly on or over a surface; flickering; as, "a lambent flame; lambent shadows."
2. Softly bright or radiant; luminous; as, "a lambent light."
3. Light and brilliant; as, "a lambent style; lambent wit."
|28 Aug 2017||rubicund|
- Inclining to redness; ruddy; red.
|27 Aug 2017||prestidigitation|
- Skill in or performance of tricks; sleight of hand.
|26 Aug 2017||kobold|
- ? German folklore, a haunting spirit, gnome, or goblin.
|25 Aug 2017||aplomb|
- Assurance of manner or of action; self-possession; confidence; coolness.
|24 Aug 2017||ebullient|
- 1. Overflowing with enthusiasm or excitement; high-spirited.
2. Boiling up or over.
|23 Aug 2017||diadem|
- 1. A crown.
2. An ornamental headband worn (as by Eastern monarchs) as a badge of royalty.
3. Regal power; sovereignty; empire; -- considered as symbolized by the crown.
1. To adorn with a diadem; to crown.