|3 Mar 2017||shibboleth|
- A word or pronunciation that distinguishes a particular class or set of persons from another.
- A word or saying identified with a group or cause; a slogan; a catchword.
- A saying or belief identified with a particular group and usually regarded by outsiders as meaningless or untrue.
- A custom, practice, behavior, etc. regarded as distinctive of a particular group.
|4 Mar 2017||Panglossian|
Excessively or naively optimistic.
|5 Mar 2017||supervene|
- To take place or occur as something additional, extraneous, or unexpected (sometimes followed by 'on' or 'upon').
- To follow immediately after; to ensue.
|6 Mar 2017||hagiography|
- Biography of saints.
- Idealizing or idolizing biography.
|7 Mar 2017||panegyric|
- A lofty, formal composition or speech in praise of someone or something.
- Formal or elaborate praise.
|8 Mar 2017||atavism|
- The reappearance in an organism of characteristics of some remote ancestor after several generations of absence.
- One that exhibits atavism; a throwback.
- Reversion to an earlier behavior, outlook, or approach.
|9 Mar 2017||supplicate|
- To seek or ask for humbly and earnestly.
- To make a humble petition to; to beseech.
|10 Mar 2017||labile|
- Open to change; apt or likely to change; adaptable.
- Constantly or readily undergoing chemical, physical, or biological change or breakdown; unstable.
|11 Mar 2017||untoward|
- Not favorable or fortunate; adverse.
- Improper; unseemly.
- Hard to guide, work with, or control; unruly.
|12 Mar 2017||menagerie|
- A collection of wild or unusual animals, especially for exhibition.
- An enclosure where wild or unusual animals are kept or exhibited.
- A diverse or varied group.
|13 Mar 2017||presage|
- An indication or warning of a future event; an omen.
- A feeling or intuition of what the future holds.
- Prophetic significance.
- [Archaic] A prediction; a prognostication.
|14 Mar 2017||abnegate|
- To refuse or deny oneself; to reject; to renounce.
- To give up (rights, claims, etc.); to surrender; to relinquish.
|15 Mar 2017||faction|
- A usually contentious or self-seeking group within a larger group, party, government, etc.
- Party strife and intrigue; internal dissension.
|16 Mar 2017||pallor|
Unusual or extreme paleness.
|17 Mar 2017||suffuse|
To spread through or over in the manner of fluid or light; to flush.
|18 Mar 2017||artifice|
- Cleverness or skill; ingenuity; inventiveness.
- An ingenious or artful device or expedient.
- An artful trick or stratagem.
- Trickery; craftiness; insincere or deceptive behavior.
|19 Mar 2017||saturnine|
- Born under or being under the astrological influence of the planet Saturn.
- Gloomy or sullen in disposition.
- Having a sardonic or bitter aspect.
|20 Mar 2017||lionize|
To treat or regard as an object of great interest or importance.
|21 Mar 2017||finical|
Extremely or unduly particular in standards or taste; fastidious; finicky.
|22 Mar 2017||pliant|
- Easily bent or flexed; supple; pliable; adaptable.
- Easily influenced; yielding readily to others.
|23 Mar 2017||dissemble|
- To hide under a false appearance; to hide the truth or true nature of.
- To put on the appearance of; to feign.
|24 Mar 2017||recreant|
- Cowardly; craven.
- Unfaithful; disloyal.
|25 Mar 2017||fetter|
- A chain or shackle for the feet; a bond; a shackle.
- Anything that confines or restrains; a restraint.
|26 Mar 2017||tumid|
- Swollen, enlarged, or distended; as, "a tumid leg."
- Bulging; protuberant.
- Swelling in sound or sense; pompous; inflated; bombastic.
|27 Mar 2017||agglomeration|
- The act or process of collecting in a mass; a heaping together.
- A jumbled cluster or mass of usually varied elements.
|28 Mar 2017||odium|
- Intense hatred or dislike; loathing; abhorrence.
- The state or fact of being intensely hated as the result of some despicable action.
- Disgrace or discredit attaching to something hated or repugnant.
|29 Mar 2017||unfledged|
- Lacking the feathers necessary for flight.
- Not fully developed; immature.
|30 Mar 2017||betimes|
- Early; in good time; before it is late.
- At times; on occasion.
- [Archaic] Soon; in a short time.
|31 Mar 2017||glutinous|
Of the nature of glue; resembling glue; sticky.
|1 Apr 2017||durance|
- Imprisonment; confinement or restraint by or as if by force (usually used in the phrase "durance vile").
- [Archaic] Endurance.
|2 Apr 2017||ingenuous|
- Demonstrating childlike simplicity; innocent; naive.
- Free from reserve, restraint, or guile; open; frank.
- [Obsolete] Noble; honorable.
|3 Apr 2017||manumit|
To free from slavery or servitude.
|4 Apr 2017||hermitage|
- The habitation of a hermit or group of hermits.
- A monastery or abbey.
- A secluded residence; a retreat; a hideaway.
- [Capitalized] A palace in St. Petersburg, now an art museum.
|5 Apr 2017||peradventure|
[Archaic] Possibly; perhaps.
|6 Apr 2017||antiquarian|
- Of or pertaining to antiquarians or objects or relics from the past.
- Dealing in or concerned with old or rare books.
|7 Apr 2017||naif|
|8 Apr 2017||altercation|
A heated, noisy, or angry dispute; noisy controversy or argument.
|9 Apr 2017||commination|
- A denunciation.
- A threat of punishment.
|10 Apr 2017||amative|
Pertaining to or disposed to love, especially sexual love; full of love; amorous.
|11 Apr 2017||garrulous|
- 1. Talking much, especially about commonplace or trivial things; talkative.
|12 Apr 2017||acumen|
- Quickness of perception or discernment; shrewdness shown by keen insight.
|13 Apr 2017||sentient|
- 1. Capable of perceiving by the senses; conscious.
2. Experiencing sensation or feeling.
|14 Apr 2017||varicolored|
- Having a variety of colors; of various colors.
|15 Apr 2017||nostrum|
- 1. A medicine of secret composition and unproven or dubious effectiveness; a quack medicine.
2. A usually questionable remedy or scheme; a cure-all.
|16 Apr 2017||rictus|
- 1. The gape of the mouth, as of birds.
2. A gaping grin or grimace.
|17 Apr 2017||ameliorate|
- 1. To make better; to improve.
1. To grow better.
|18 Apr 2017||somnolent|
- 1. Sleepy; drowsy; inclined to sleep.
2. Tending to cause sleepiness or drowsiness.
|19 Apr 2017||mien|
- 1. Manner or bearing, especially as expressive of mood, attitude, or personality; demeanor.
2. Aspect; appearance.
|20 Apr 2017||potable|
- 1. Fit to drink; suitable for drinking; drinkable.
1. A potable liquid; a beverage, especially an alcoholic beverage.
|21 Apr 2017||temerarious|
- Recklessly or presumptuously daring; rash.