|31 Jul 2017||tocsin|
- 1. An alarm bell, or the ringing of a bell for the purpose of alarm.
2. A warning.
|1 Aug 2017||lexicon|
- 1. A book containing an alphabetical arrangement of the words in a language with the definition of each; a dictionary.
2. The vocabulary of a person, group, subject, or language.
3. [Linguistics] The total morphemes of a language.
|2 Aug 2017||umbrage|
- 1. Shade; shadow; hence, something that affords a shade, as a screen of trees or foliage.
2. a. A vague or indistinct indication or suggestion; a hint.
3. b. Reason for doubt; suspicion.
4. Suspicion of injury or wrong; offense; resentment.
|3 Aug 2017||orotund|
- 1. Characterized by fullness, clarity, strength, and smoothness of sound.
2. Pompous; bombastic.
|4 Aug 2017||loquacious|
- 1. Very talkative.
2. Full of excessive talk; wordy.
|5 Aug 2017||bruit|
- To report; to noise abroad.
|6 Aug 2017||virago|
- 1. A woman of extraordinary stature, strength, and courage.
2. A woman regarded as loud, scolding, ill-tempered, quarrelsome, or overbearing.
|7 Aug 2017||mawkish|
- 1. Sickly or excessively sentimental.
2. Insipid in taste; nauseous; disgusting.
|8 Aug 2017||malediction|
|9 Aug 2017||susurrus|
- A whispering or rustling sound; a murmur.
|10 Aug 2017||neophyte|
- 1. A new convert or proselyte.
2. A novice; a beginner in anything.
|11 Aug 2017||immolate|
- 1. To sacrifice; to offer in sacrifice; to kill as a sacrificial victim.
2. To kill or destroy, often by fire.
|12 Aug 2017||alpenglow|
- A reddish glow seen near sunset or sunrise on the summits of mountains.
|13 Aug 2017||subfusc|
- Dark or dull in color; drab, dusky.
|14 Aug 2017||mores|
- 1. The fixed customs of a particular group that are morally binding upon all members of the group.
2. Moral attitudes.
3. Customs; habits; ways.
|15 Aug 2017||dapple|
- 1. A small contrasting spot or blotch.
2. A mottled appearance, especially of the coat of an animal (as a horse).
1. To mark with patches of a color or shade; to spot.
1. To become dappled.
1. Marked with contrasting patches or spots; dappled.
|16 Aug 2017||winsome|
- 1. Cheerful; merry; gay; light-hearted.
2. Causing joy or pleasure; agreeable; pleasant.
|17 Aug 2017||verdure|
- Green; greenness; freshness of vegetation; as, the verdure of the meadows in June.
|18 Aug 2017||propitious|
- 1. Presenting favorable circumstances or conditions.
2. Favorably inclined; gracious; benevolent.
|19 Aug 2017||nosegay|
- A bunch of odorous and showy flowers; a bouquet; a posy.
|20 Aug 2017||oneiric|
- Of, pertaining to, or suggestive of dreams; dreamy.
|21 Aug 2017||laudable|
- Worthy of praise; commendable.
|22 Aug 2017||puissant|
- Powerful; strong; mighty; as, a puissant prince or empire.
|23 Aug 2017||diadem|
- 1. A crown.
2. An ornamental headband worn (as by Eastern monarchs) as a badge of royalty.
3. Regal power; sovereignty; empire; -- considered as symbolized by the crown.
1. To adorn with a diadem; to crown.
|24 Aug 2017||ebullient|
- 1. Overflowing with enthusiasm or excitement; high-spirited.
2. Boiling up or over.
|25 Aug 2017||aplomb|
- Assurance of manner or of action; self-possession; confidence; coolness.
|26 Aug 2017||kobold|
- ? German folklore, a haunting spirit, gnome, or goblin.
|27 Aug 2017||prestidigitation|
- Skill in or performance of tricks; sleight of hand.
|28 Aug 2017||rubicund|
- Inclining to redness; ruddy; red.
|29 Aug 2017||lambent|
- 1. Playing lightly on or over a surface; flickering; as, "a lambent flame; lambent shadows."
2. Softly bright or radiant; luminous; as, "a lambent light."
3. Light and brilliant; as, "a lambent style; lambent wit."
|30 Aug 2017||anodyne|
- 1. Serving to relieve pain; soothing.
2. Not likely to offend; bland; innocuous.
1. A medicine that relieves pain.
2. Anything that calms, comforts, or soothes disturbed feelings.
|31 Aug 2017||ingenue|
- 1. A naive girl or young woman.
2. An actress playing such a person; also: the stage role of an ingenue.
|1 Sep 2017||subterfuge|
- A deceptive device or stratagem.
|2 Sep 2017||maelstrom|
- 1. A large, powerful, or destructive whirlpool.
2. Something resembling a maelstrom; a violent, disordered, or turbulent state of affairs.
|3 Sep 2017||crepuscular|
- 1. Of, pertaining to, or resembling twilight; dim.
2. (Zoology) Appearing or active at twilight.
|4 Sep 2017||repast|
- Something taken as food; a meal.
|5 Sep 2017||soporific|
- 1. Causing sleep; tending to cause sleep.
2. Of, relating to, or characterized by sleepiness or lethargy.
1. A medicine, drug, plant, or other agent that has the quality of inducing sleep; a narcotic.
|6 Sep 2017||bivouac|
- 1. An encampment for the night, usually under little or no shelter.
1. To encamp for the night, usually under little or no shelter.
|7 Sep 2017||quidnunc|
- One who is curious to know everything that passes; one who knows or pretends to know all that is going on; a gossip; a busybody.
|8 Sep 2017||lassitude|
- Lack of vitality or energy; weariness; listlessness.
|9 Sep 2017||billet-doux|
|10 Sep 2017||wheedle|
- 1. To entice by soft words or flattery; to coax.
2. To gain or get by flattery or guile.
1. To flatter; to use soft words.
|11 Sep 2017||alfresco|
- 1. In the open air; outdoors.
1. Taking place or located in the open air; outdoor.
|12 Sep 2017||redivivus|
- Living again; brought back to life; revived; restored.
|13 Sep 2017||chagrin|
- 1. Acute vexation, annoyance, or embarrassment, arising from disappointment or failure.
1. To unsettle or vex by disappointment or humiliation; to mortify.
|14 Sep 2017||gaucherie|
- 1. A socially awkward or tactless act.
2. Lack of tact; boorishness; awkwardness.
|15 Sep 2017||panache|
- 1. Dash or flamboyance in manner or style.
2. A plume or bunch of feathers, esp. such a bunch worn on the helmet; any military plume, or ornamental group of feathers.
|16 Sep 2017||logorrhea|
- Excessive talkativeness or wordiness.
|17 Sep 2017||assiduous|
- 1. Constant in application or attention; devoted; attentive.
2. Performed with constant diligence or attention; unremitting; persistent; as, "assiduous labor."
|18 Sep 2017||sylvan|
- 1. Of or pertaining to woods or forest regions.
2. Living or located in a wood or forest.
3. Abounding in forests or trees; wooded.
1. A fabled deity or spirit of the woods.
2. One that lives in or frequents the woods or forest; a rustic.