|3 Oct 2014||obsequious|
Marked by or exhibiting servile attentiveness; compliant to excess; fawning.
|2 Oct 2014||visage|
- The face or appearance of a person or an animal; -- chiefly applied to the human face.
- Appearance; aspect.
|1 Oct 2014||segue|
To proceed without interruption; to make a smooth transition.
|30 Sep 2014||fealty|
- Fidelity to one's lord; the feudal obligation by which the tenant or vassal was bound to be faithful to his lord.
- The oath by which this obligation was assumed.
- Fidelity; allegiance; faithfulness.
|29 Sep 2014||impassive|
- Devoid of or unsusceptible to emotion.
- Showing no sign of emotion or feeling; expressionless.
|28 Sep 2014||multifarious|
Having great diversity or variety; of various kinds; diversified.
|27 Sep 2014||nugatory|
- Trifling; insignificant; inconsequential.
- Having no force; inoperative; ineffectual.
|26 Sep 2014||aver|
- To affirm with confidence; to declare in a positive manner, as in confidence of asserting the truth.
- (Law) To assert, claim, or declare as a fact.
|25 Sep 2014||beneficence|
The practice of doing good; active goodness, kindness, or charity; bounty springing from purity and goodness.
|24 Sep 2014||matutinal|
Relating to or occurring in the morning; early.
|23 Sep 2014||circumambient|
Surrounding; being on all sides; encompassing.
|22 Sep 2014||clarion|
- A kind of trumpet having a clear and shrill note.
- The sound of this instrument or a sound similar to it.
|21 Sep 2014||parley|
A conference or discussion, especially with an enemy, as with regard to a truce or other matters.
|20 Sep 2014||inscrutable|
Difficult to fathom or understand; difficult to be explained or accounted for satisfactorily; obscure; incomprehensible; impenetrable; as, an inscrutable design or event.
|19 Sep 2014||gubernatorial|
Of or pertaining to a governor.
|18 Sep 2014||cadre|
- A core or nucleus of trained or otherwise qualified personnel around which an organization is formed.
- A tightly knit and trained group of dedicated members active in
promoting the interests of a revolutionary party.
- A member of such a group.
- A framework upon which a larger entity can be built; a scheme.
|17 Sep 2014||tenebrous|
|16 Sep 2014||paroxysm|
- (Medicine) A sudden attack, intensification, or recurrence of a disease.
- Any sudden and violent emotion or action; an outburst; a fit.
|15 Sep 2014||ersatz|
Being a substitute or imitation, usually an inferior one.
|14 Sep 2014||captious|
- Marked by a disposition to find fault or raise objections.
- Calculated to entrap or confuse, as in an argument.
|13 Sep 2014||ostentation|
Excessive or pretentious display; boastful showiness.
|12 Sep 2014||palimpsest|
- A manuscript, usually of papyrus or parchment, on which more than one text has been written with the earlier writing incompletely erased and still visible.
- An object or place whose older layers or aspects are apparent beneath its surface.
|11 Sep 2014||tendentious|
Marked by a strong tendency in favor of a particular point of view.
|10 Sep 2014||halcyon|
- A kingfisher.
- A mythical bird, identified with the kingfisher, that was fabled to nest at sea about the time of the winter solstice and to calm the waves during incubation.
|9 Sep 2014||scintilla|
A tiny or scarcely detectable amount; the slightest particle; a trace; a spark.
|8 Sep 2014||woebegone|
- Beset or overwhelmed with woe; immersed in grief or sorrow; woeful.
- Being in a sorry condition; dismal-looking; dilapidated; run-down.
|7 Sep 2014||mordant|
Biting; caustic; sarcastic.
|6 Sep 2014||riparian|
of or pertaining to the bank of a river or stream
|5 Sep 2014||effulgence|
The state of being bright and radiant; splendor; brilliance.
|4 Sep 2014||bellwether|
- A wether, or sheep, which leads the flock, with a bell on his neck.
- Hence: A leader of a movement or activity.
|3 Sep 2014||laconic|
Using or marked by the use of a minimum of words; brief and pithy; brusque.
|2 Sep 2014||deride|
To laugh at with contempt; to subject to ridicule or make sport of; to mock; to scoff at.
|1 Sep 2014||soporific|
- Causing sleep; tending to cause sleep.
- Of, relating to, or characterized by sleepiness or lethargy.
|31 Aug 2014||contradistinction|
Distinction by contrast; as, "sculpture in contradistinction to painting."
|30 Aug 2014||exalt|
- To praise, glorify, or honor
- To heighten or intensify
- To raise in rank, character, or status; as, "exalted the humble shoemaker to the rank of King's adviser"
|29 Aug 2014||crepuscular|
- Pertaining to twilight; glimmering; hence, imperfectly clear or luminous.
- (Zoology) Flying in the twilight or evening, or before sunrise; -- said certain birds and insects.
|28 Aug 2014||gourmand|
- One who eats to excess.
- A lover of good food.
|27 Aug 2014||omnipresent|
Present in all places at the same time; ubiquitous.
|26 Aug 2014||adventitious|
- Added extrinsically; not essentially inherent.
- (Biology) Out of the proper or usual place; as, "adventitious buds or roots."
|25 Aug 2014||ineffable|
- Incapable of being expressed in words; unspeakable; unutterable; indescribable.
- Not to be uttered; taboo.
|24 Aug 2014||portend|
To indicate (events, misfortunes, etc.) as in future; to foreshadow; to bode.
|23 Aug 2014||accede|
- To agree or assent, as to a proposition, or to terms proposed by another.
- To become a party, as to an agreement, treaty, convention, etc.
- To attain, as to an office or rank; to enter upon the duties of an office.
|22 Aug 2014||venial|
Capable of being forgiven; not heinous; excusable; pardonable.
|21 Aug 2014||moiety|
- One of two equal parts; a half.
- An indefinite part; a small portion or share.
- One of two basic tribal subdivisions.
|20 Aug 2014||parsimonious|
Sparing in expenditure; frugal to excess.
|19 Aug 2014||concatenation|
A series of links united; a series or order of things depending on each other, as if linked together; a chain, a succession.
|18 Aug 2014||foment|
To nurse to life or activity; to encourage; to incite; to instigate; -- often in a bad sense.
|17 Aug 2014||legerdemain|
- Sleight of hand.
- A display of skill, trickery, or artful deception.
|16 Aug 2014||chthonic|
dwelling in or under the earth; also, pertaining to the underworld
|15 Aug 2014||convivial|
Of or relating to feasting, drinking, and good company; fond of festivity and good company; sociable.