1. Harsh criticism or disapproval.
2. Remarks by way of criticism and usually of censure -- often used with 'on'.
|31 Dec 2018||perforce|
By necessity; by force of circumstance.
|30 Dec 2018||clerisy|
The well educated class; the intelligentsia.
|29 Dec 2018||empyrean|
1. The highest heaven, in ancient belief usually thought to be a realm of pure fire or light.
2. Heaven; paradise.
3. The heavens; the sky.
1. Of or pertaining to the empyrean of ancient belief.
|28 Dec 2018||adage|
An old saying, which has obtained credit by long use; a proverb.
|27 Dec 2018||limpid|
1. Characterized by clearness or transparency; clear; as, "a limpid stream."
2. Calm; untroubled; serene.
3. Clear in style; easily understandable.
|26 Dec 2018||specious|
1. Apparently right; superficially fair, just, or correct, but not so in reality; as, "specious reasoning; a specious argument."
2. Deceptively pleasing or attractive.
|25 Dec 2018||appurtenance|
1. An adjunct; an accessory; something added to another, more important thing.
2. [Plural]. Accessory objects; gear; apparatus.
3. [Law]. An incidental right attached to a principal property right for purposes such as passage of title, conveyance, or inheritance.
|24 Dec 2018||taciturn|
Habitually silent; not inclined to talk.
|23 Dec 2018||descry|
1. To catch sight of, especially something distant or obscure; to discern.
2. To discover by observation; to detect.
|22 Dec 2018||cogitate|
1. To think deeply or intently; to ponder; to meditate.
2. To think about; to ponder on; to meditate upon; to plan or plot.
|21 Dec 2018||trepidation|
1. [Archaic] An involuntary trembling; quaking; quivering.
2. A state of dread or alarm; nervous agitation; apprehension; fright.
|20 Dec 2018||nonplus|
To cause to be at a loss as to what to think, say, or do; to confound; to perplex; to bewilder.
|19 Dec 2018||effete|
1. No longer capable of producing young; infertile; barren; sterile.
2. Exhausted of energy; incapable of efficient action; worn out.
3. Marked by self-indulgence or decadence; degenerate.
4. Overrefined; effeminate.
|18 Dec 2018||coterminous|
1. Having the same or coincident boundaries.
2. Having the same scope, range of meaning, duration.
|17 Dec 2018||malapropism|
The usually unintentionally humorous misuse of a word, especially by confusion with one of similar sound; also, an example of such misuse.
|16 Dec 2018||collegial|
1. Characterized by or having authority or responsibility shared equally by each of a group of colleagues.
2. Characterized by equal sharing of authority especially by Roman Catholic bishops.
3. Of or relating to a college or university; collegiate.
4. Characterized by camaraderie among colleagues.
|15 Dec 2018||indefatigable|
Incapable of being fatigued; not readily exhausted; untiring; unwearying; not yielding to fatigue.
|14 Dec 2018||galumph|
To move in a clumsy manner or with a heavy tread.
|13 Dec 2018||sagacious|
Of keen penetration and judgment; discerning and judicious; knowing; shrewd; wise.
|12 Dec 2018||entreat|
1. To make an earnest petition or request; to plead.
1. To ask earnestly; to beseech; to petition for.
|11 Dec 2018||conflagration|
1. A large and destructive fire; a general burning.
2. Something like a conflagration; conflict; war.
|10 Dec 2018||profligate|
1. Openly and shamelessly immoral; dissipated; dissolute.
2. Recklessly wasteful.
1. A profligate person.
|9 Dec 2018||surreptitious|
1. Done, made, or gotten by stealth.
2. Acting with or marked by stealth.
|8 Dec 2018||ambit|
1. Circuit or compass.
2. The boundaries or limits of a district or place.
3. An area in which something acts, operates, or has power or control; extent; sphere; scope.
|7 Dec 2018||sycophant|
A person who seeks favor by flattering people of wealth or influence; a parasite; a toady.
|6 Dec 2018||enjoin|
1. To direct or impose with authority; to order.
2. To prohibit; to forbid.
|5 Dec 2018||hardscrabble|
1. Yielding a bare or meager living with great labor or difficulty.
2. Marked by poverty.
|4 Dec 2018||lapidary|
1. Of or pertaining to the art of cutting stones or engraving on them.
2. Engraved in stone.
3. Of or pertaining to the refined or terse style associated with inscriptions on monumental stone.
1. One who cuts, polishes, and engraves precious stones.
2. A dealer in precious stones.
|3 Dec 2018||malodorous|
|2 Dec 2018||hoi polloi|
The common people generally; the masses.
|1 Dec 2018||apogee|
1. The point in the orbit of the moon or of an artificial satellite that is at the greatest distance from the center of the earth.
2. The farthest or highest point; culmination.
|30 Nov 2018||turbid|
1. Muddy; thick with or as if with roiled sediment; not clear; -- used of liquids of any kind.
2. Thick; dense; dark; -- used of clouds, air, fog, smoke, etc.
3. Disturbed; confused; disordered.
|29 Nov 2018||sonorous|
1. Giving sound when struck; resonant; as, sonorous metals.
2. Loud-sounding; giving a clear or loud sound; as, a sonorous voice.
3. Yielding sound; characterized by sound; as, the vowels are sonorous.
4. Impressive in sound; high-sounding.
|28 Nov 2018||doyen|
1. The senior member of a body or group.
2. One who is knowledgeable or uniquely skilled as a result of long experience in some field of endeavor.
3. A woman who is a doyen.
|27 Nov 2018||impregnable|
1. Not capable of being stormed or taken by assault; unconquerable; as, an impregnable fortress.
2. Difficult or impossible to overcome or refute successfully; beyond question or criticism; as, an impregnable argument.
|26 Nov 2018||raffish|
1. Characterized by or suggestive of flashy vulgarity, crudeness, or rowdiness; tawdry.
2. Marked by a carefree unconventionality or disreputableness; rakish.
|25 Nov 2018||beau ideal|
A perfect or an idealized type or model.
|24 Nov 2018||slaver|
1. To slobber; to drool.
1. Saliva drooling from the mouth.
|23 Nov 2018||vivify|
1. To endue with life; to make alive; to animate.
2. To make more lively or intense.
|22 Nov 2018||satiety|
The state of being full or gratified to or beyond the point of satisfaction.
|21 Nov 2018||crux|
1. The basic, central, or critical point or feature.
2. Anything that is very puzzling or difficult to explain or solve.
|20 Nov 2018||bucolic|
1. Relating to or typical of the countryside or its people; rustic.
2. Of or pertaining to the life and occupation of a shepherd; pastoral.
1. A pastoral poem, depicting rural affairs, and the life, manners, and occupation of shepherds.
2. A country person.
|19 Nov 2018||Pyrrhic victory|
A victory achieved at great or excessive cost; a ruinous victory.
|18 Nov 2018||idee fixe|
An idea that dominates the mind; a fixed idea; an obsession.
|17 Nov 2018||genial|
1. [Obsolete] Pertaining to generation or marriage.
2. Friendly, warm; kindly; sympathetically cheerful and cheering.
3. Mild, pleasant; comfortable; favorable to life or growth.
|16 Nov 2018||missive|
A written message; a letter.
|15 Nov 2018||conspectus|
1. A general sketch or survey of a subject.
2. A synopsis; an outline.
|14 Nov 2018||roseate|
1. Overly optimistic; bright or cheerful.
2. Resembling a rose especially in color.
|13 Nov 2018||moribund|
1. In a dying state; dying; at the point of death.
2. Becoming obsolete or inactive.