The act of plundering; the seizing and carrying away of another's property by force.
1. Deserving to be execrated; detestable; abominable.
2. Extremely bad; of very poor quality; very inferior.
A humorous person; a wit; a joker.
Unreasonable or foolhardy contempt of danger; rashness.
1. Complex or ingenious in form or function; intricate.
2. Skillful; artistic; ingenious.
3. Rich; adorned with many things.
1. Any body that gives light, especially one of the heavenly bodies.
2. A person of eminence or brilliant achievement.
1. A little world. Hence, man or human nature as a supposed epitome of the world or universe (compare macrocosm).
2. A smaller, representative system having analogies to a larger system.
A worn-out strumpet; a vixenish woman; a hag.
1. A state of being equally balanced; equilibrium; -- as of moral, political, or social interests or forces.
Occurring singly, or occasionally, or in scattered instances.
Serving or tending to irritate or repel.
Full of excitement or interest; in eager desire; eager, keen.
1. Passing or traveling from place to place; wandering.
1. One who travels from place to place.
- 1. (Law) A notice given by an interested party to some officer not to do a certain act until the opposition has a hearing.
2. A warning or caution; also, a cautionary qualification or explanation to prevent misunderstanding.
1. The color or incrustation which age gives to works of art; especially, the green rust which covers ancient bronzes, coins, and medals.
2. The sheen on any surface, produced by age and use.
3. An appearance or aura produced by habit, practice, or use.
4. A superficial layer or exterior.
Not placable; not to be appeased; incapable of being pacified; inexorable; as, an implacable foe.
Characterized by or acting with speed and efficiency.
- Irritation of the passions; anger; wrath.
Marked by strong urging; serving to encourage or incite; as, "a hortatory speech."
|24 Jan||land of Nod|
The cessation of use; discontinuance of practice or custom; disuse.
- 1. A salad plate usually consisting of chopped meat, anchovies, eggs, and onions, served with oil and vinegar.
2. Any mixture or assortment; a medley; a potpourri; a miscellany.
1. Of the same age; originating or existing during the same period of time -- usually followed by 'with'.
1. One of the same age; a contemporary.
1. A splendid or impressive array.
2. Ceremonial attire.
3. A full suit of armor; a complete defense or covering.
A youth in the state of adolescence, or just passing from boyhood to manhood; a lad.
1. To go into or reside in the country; to pursue a rustic life.
1. To require or compel to reside in the country; to banish or send away temporarily.
2. (Chiefly British). To suspend from school or college.
3. To build with usually rough-surfaced masonry blocks having beveled or rebated edges producing pronounced joints.
4. To lend a rustic character to; to cause to become rustic.
Good nature; pleasant and easy manner.
1. A kind of coarse twilled cotton or cotton and linen stuff, including corduroy, velveteen, etc.
2. An inflated style of writing or speech; pompous or pretentious language.
1. Made of fustian.
2. Pompous; ridiculously inflated; bombastic.
An awkward, gawky young fellow.
With; along with; combined with; -- often used in combination.
Cheap and showy, tawdry; also, spurious, counterfeit.
1. A strict disciplinarian.
2. One who lays stress on a rigid adherence to the details of forms and methods.
To throw out of a window.
1. The use of trickery or sophistry to deceive (as in matters of law).
2. A trick; a subterfuge.
Given to eating; voracious; devouring.
1. Kind; gracious.
2. Beneficial; favorable.
1. Tending to provoke envy, resentment, or ill will.
2. Containing or implying a slight.
More than is wanted or is sufficient; rendered unnecessary by superabundance; unnecessary; useless; excessive.
-- SUPERFLUOUSLY, adverb
-- SUPERFLUOUSNESS, noun
1. A flowing or coming together; junction.
2. The place where two rivers, streams, etc. meet.
3. A flocking or assemblage of a multitude in one place; a large collection or assemblage.
A leader of a movement or activity; also, a leading indicator of future trends.
1. An occupation; a profession.
2. An area in which one excels; an occupation for which one is especially well suited.
- Having or revealing little emotion or sensibility; not easily excited.
The male head of a household or the father of a family.
|31 Dec 2017||succor|
1. Aid; help; assistance; especially, assistance that relieves and delivers from difficulty, want, or distress.
2. The person or thing that brings relief.
1. To help or relieve when in difficulty, want, or distress; to assist and deliver from suffering; to relieve.
|30 Dec 2017||aubade|
A song or poem greeting the dawn; also, a composition suggestive of morning.
|29 Dec 2017||paragon|
A model of excellence or perfection; as, "a paragon of beauty; a paragon of eloquence."
|28 Dec 2017||dudgeon|
A state or fit of intense indignation; resentment; ill humor -- often used in the phrase "in high dudgeon."
|27 Dec 2017||amalgam|
1. An alloy of mercury with another metal or metals; used especially (with silver) as a dental filling.
2. A mixture or compound of different things.