1. To go into or reside in the country; to pursue a rustic life.
1. To require or compel to reside in the country; to banish or send away temporarily.
2. (Chiefly British). To suspend from school or college.
3. To build with usually rough-surfaced masonry blocks having beveled or rebated edges producing pronounced joints.
4. To lend a rustic character to; to cause to become rustic.
Good nature; pleasant and easy manner.
1. A kind of coarse twilled cotton or cotton and linen stuff, including corduroy, velveteen, etc.
2. An inflated style of writing or speech; pompous or pretentious language.
1. Made of fustian.
2. Pompous; ridiculously inflated; bombastic.
An awkward, gawky young fellow.
With; along with; combined with; -- often used in combination.
Cheap and showy, tawdry; also, spurious, counterfeit.
1. A strict disciplinarian.
2. One who lays stress on a rigid adherence to the details of forms and methods.
To throw out of a window.
1. The use of trickery or sophistry to deceive (as in matters of law).
2. A trick; a subterfuge.
Given to eating; voracious; devouring.
1. Kind; gracious.
2. Beneficial; favorable.
1. Tending to provoke envy, resentment, or ill will.
2. Containing or implying a slight.
More than is wanted or is sufficient; rendered unnecessary by superabundance; unnecessary; useless; excessive.
-- SUPERFLUOUSLY, adverb
-- SUPERFLUOUSNESS, noun
1. A flowing or coming together; junction.
2. The place where two rivers, streams, etc. meet.
3. A flocking or assemblage of a multitude in one place; a large collection or assemblage.
A leader of a movement or activity; also, a leading indicator of future trends.
1. An occupation; a profession.
2. An area in which one excels; an occupation for which one is especially well suited.
- Having or revealing little emotion or sensibility; not easily excited.
The male head of a household or the father of a family.
|31 Dec 2017||succor|
1. Aid; help; assistance; especially, assistance that relieves and delivers from difficulty, want, or distress.
2. The person or thing that brings relief.
1. To help or relieve when in difficulty, want, or distress; to assist and deliver from suffering; to relieve.
|30 Dec 2017||aubade|
A song or poem greeting the dawn; also, a composition suggestive of morning.
|29 Dec 2017||paragon|
A model of excellence or perfection; as, "a paragon of beauty; a paragon of eloquence."
|28 Dec 2017||dudgeon|
A state or fit of intense indignation; resentment; ill humor -- often used in the phrase "in high dudgeon."
|27 Dec 2017||amalgam|
1. An alloy of mercury with another metal or metals; used especially (with silver) as a dental filling.
2. A mixture or compound of different things.
|26 Dec 2017||verdant|
1. Covered with growing plants or grass; green with vegetation.
3. Unripe in knowledge, judgment, or experience; unsophisticated; green.
|25 Dec 2017||megalomania|
1. A mania for grandiose or extravagant things or actions.
2. A mental disorder characterized by delusions of grandeur.
|24 Dec 2017||Ides|
In the ancient Roman calendar the fifteenth day of March, May, July, and October, and the thirteenth day of the other months.
|23 Dec 2017||uxorious|
Excessively fond of or submissive to a wife.
|22 Dec 2017||manse|
1. A large and imposing residence.
2. The residence of a clergyman (especially a Presbyterian clergyman).
|21 Dec 2017||parvenu|
1. One that has recently or suddenly risen to a higher social or economic class but has not gained social acceptance of others in that class; an upstart.
1. Being a parvenu; also, like or having the characteristics of a parvenu.
|20 Dec 2017||crapulous|
1. Suffering the effects of, or derived from, or suggestive of gross intemperance, especially in drinking; as, a crapulous stomach.
2. Marked by gross intemperance, especially in drinking; as, a crapulous old reprobate.
|19 Dec 2017||ululate|
To howl, as a dog or a wolf; to wail; as, ululating jackals.
|18 Dec 2017||contradistinction|
Distinction by contrast; as, "sculpture in contradistinction to painting."
|17 Dec 2017||perambulate|
1. To walk about; to roam; to stroll; as, "he perambulated in the park."
1. To walk through or over.
2. To travel over for the purpose of surveying or inspecting.
|16 Dec 2017||expropriate|
1. To deprive of possession.
2. To transfer (the property of another) to oneself.
|15 Dec 2017||countermand|
1. To revoke (a former command); to cancel or rescind by giving an order contrary to one previously given.
2. To recall or order back by a contrary order.
1. A contrary order.
2. Revocation of a former order or command.
|14 Dec 2017||toothsome|
1. Pleasing to the taste; delicious; as, "a toothsome pie."
2. Agreeable; attractive; as, "a toothsome offer."
3. Sexually attractive.
|13 Dec 2017||simulacrum|
1. An image; a representation.
2. An insubstantial, superficial, or vague likeness or semblance.
|12 Dec 2017||dilettante|
1. An amateur or dabbler; especially, one who follows an art or a branch of knowledge sporadically, superficially, or for amusement only.
2. An admirer or lover of the fine arts.
1. Of or characteristic of a dilettante; amateurish.
|11 Dec 2017||largess|
1. Generous giving (as of gifts or money), often accompanied by condescension.
2. Gifts, money, or other valuables so given.
3. Generosity; liberality.
|10 Dec 2017||doula|
A woman who assists during childbirth labor and provides support to the mother, her child and the family after childbirth.
|9 Dec 2017||scion|
1. A detached shoot or twig of a plant used for grafting.
2. Hence, a descendant; an heir.
|8 Dec 2017||posit|
1. To assume as real or conceded.
2. To propose as an explanation; to suggest.
3. To dispose or set firmly or fixedly.
|7 Dec 2017||apothegm|
A short, witty, and instructive saying.
|6 Dec 2017||cogent|
Having the power to compel conviction; appealing to the mind or to reason; convincing.
|5 Dec 2017||munificent|
Very liberal in giving or bestowing; very generous; lavish.
|4 Dec 2017||alacrity|
A cheerful or eager readiness or willingness, often manifested by brisk, lively action or promptness in response.
|3 Dec 2017||salutary|
1. Producing or contributing to a beneficial effect; beneficial; advantageous.
2. Wholesome; healthful; promoting health.
|2 Dec 2017||jovial|
Merry; joyous; jolly; characterized by mirth or jollity.
|1 Dec 2017||titivate|
To smarten up; to spruce up.
|30 Nov 2017||probity|
Complete and confirmed integrity; uprightness.